India, Days 31-33: Agra, still Agra, Jaipur

After our post on Saturday, we went on to have a (mostly) nice day. We visited a pietra dura shop (inlaid marble, like you see on the Taj Mahal) and bought a beautiful pietra dura elephant statue. It’s not quite life-size, but being solid marble, it’s still pretty heavy. It’s definitely something we will keep forever and will always remind us of our adventures in India.

After a restful afternoon at the hotel, we ventured out for dinner at a rooftop restaurant with an amazing view of the Taj Mahal. The evening turned out to be unexpectedly lovely. It had rained a little earlier, clearing the sky some and making the temperature a little cooler. As we were eating dinner, we could see people in the surrounding neighborhood also escaping the heat on their rooftops, chatting with family and friends. Several young boys were flying kites, incredibly high in the sky and seemingly without much effort. Although the sky was still pretty hazy, the setting sun poked through just enough to cast a faint pink glow on the western side of the Taj. Around 7:30, the local mosques projected a call to prayer, sending a few of the kite-fliers scrambling inside. We ended the evening with delicious banana lassis and climbed in bed early, preparing to catch a 5am train to Jaipur the next morning.

And that is where the fun stops. About an hour after falling asleep, I woke up with a severe bout of food poisoning. I’ll save you the details, but suffice it to say the next two hours were some of my worse in recent memory. Later in the night, it hit Dante, too, although fortunately not quite as bad. Given that we were both still feeling terrible and as limp as wet rags at 5am, we did not get on the train to Jaipur. Instead, we spent the entire day in bed, venturing only as far as the hotel restaurant to get water and Sprite. We both were pretty much out of reading material and our room did not have a TV, so we entertained ourselves mostly by sleeping and reciting a good portion of The Princess Bride from memory. Probably he means no haaaaarrrrm…

We did finally manage to make it to Jaipur today (although on an AC bus, not a train…which turned out to be more complicated than it should have been, but what else is new). The most exciting parts of the bus ride involved wildlife – we saw camels, an elephant, and at one rest stop, two monkeys got on the bus. They realized it wasn’t going where they wanted after all, so they got off pretty quickly. So now we’re here in Jaipur, taking it easy, hoping we feel up to seeing the sites over the next few days.

1 Response to “India, Days 31-33: Agra, still Agra, Jaipur”

  1. Alison Brooks

    Sorry to hear about the GI isues but glad you are on the mend. Monkeys riding the bus? “Inconceivable!”